1519 8th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001-3205
© 2016-2020 | Alexander M. Padro. All Rights Reserved.
Help Every Neighborhood Achieve Its Dreams: Elect Alex Padro, DC Council At-Large!
PAID FOR BY THE COMMITTEE TO ELECT ALEX PADRO, PLEASANT P. MANN, TREASURER
DREAMS COME TRUE.
ELECT ALEX PADRO, DC COUNCIL AT-LARGE
LEADING SHAW INTO THE FUTURE: A RECORD OF ACCOMPLISHMENT
After over two decades as a community leader and elected official, I am known as the 'go-to' person in Shaw. I'm often referred to as "The Mayor of Shaw."
I have led the revitalization of the Shaw neighborhood for over 20 years, as an ANC Commissioner since 2001, Executive Director of Shaw Main Streets since 2004, and as the Chair or Board member of the Friends of Watha T. Daniel/Shaw Neighborhood Library, Friends of Kennedy Playground, and other neighborhood and citywide nonprofits.
Shaw is a cleaner, safer, and more attractive place today thanks to my work. During my ten terms as a Shaw ANC Commissioner, during which I have served as the Commission's chair and vice chair, I have:
* helped attract over $3 billion in public and private investment to the neighborhood.
* supported the construction of thousands of new market rate and affordable housing units, including The Hodge building for seniors at City Market at O, the 281 unit Jefferson Market Place, and the Channing Phillips Homes workforce housing apartments.
* helped over 350 new businesses to open and earned the Great American Main Street Award for Shaw in 2016.
* helped maintain the neighborhood's economic and ethnic diversity by preserving existing affordable housing. All but one of the subsidized buildings in his ANC SMD have been renovated or replaced in kind during the past 19 years.
* promoted the neighborhood's rich African American history through the creation of the Shaw Heritage Trail, publication of the Shaw Heritage Coloring Book, and by conducting free tours of the neighborhood.
* defended neighborhood interests in alcohol licensing to prevent negative impacts, including late night noise from outdoor venues.
* helped bring public art to the neighborhood, like the Marvin Gaye Mural at 7th and S Streets, NW, Carter G. Woodson Memorial at Woodson Park, “Symphony in DC Major” at City Market at O and the DC Alley Museum in Blagden Alley.
* championed historic preservation, including the redevelopment of the O Street Market, Howard Theatre, and Wonder Bread Factory and the restoration of the Carter G. Woodson Home.
* helped bring the city's first skate park and dog park to my ANC Single Member District.
* brought a new neighborhood library and improved schools, parks, and recreation facilities to my ANC SMD.
* helped protect residential parking by creating Residents Only parking areas.
* rebuilt the neighborhood's tree canopy by having hundreds of trees planted.
* got new traffic signals installed, and had sidewalks and other infrastructure replaced.
* helped keep streets clean by starting the Shaw Clean + Safe Team (formerly the Shaw Green Team).
* helped deliver services to low and moderate income families and senior citizens, working with non-profits and DC government agencies.
*worked to reduce crime in Shaw and ensure that the police pritects the interests of residents.
* organized and obtained funding for the distribution of backpacks and school supplies to schoolchildren and Thanksgiving dinners to families and the homeless.
● eliminated vacant and abandoned homes using the blighted tax rate to encourage renovation.