COMMISSIONER ALEXANDER M. PADRO
PAID FOR BY THE COMMITTEE TO RE-ELECT ALEXANDER M. PADRO ANC 6E01,
PLEASANT P. MANN, TREASURER
LEADING SHAW INTO THE FUTURE:
A RECORD OF ACCOMPLISHMENT
After over a decade and a half as a community leader and elected official, I am known as the 'go-to' person in Shaw. I'm often referred to as "The Mayor of Shaw."
I have led the revitalization of the Shaw neighborhood for over 18 years, as an ANC Commissioner since 2001, Executive Director of Shaw Main Streets since 2004, and as the Chair or Board member of the Friends of Watha T. Daniel/Shaw Neighborhood Library, Friends of Kennedy Playground, and other neighborhood and citywide nonprofits.
Shaw is a cleaner, safer, and more attractive place today thanks to my work. During my nine terms as a Shaw ANC Commissioner, I have:
* helped attract over $3 billion in public and private investment to the neighborhood.
* supported the construction of thousands of new market rate and affordable housing units, including The Hodge building for seniors at City Market at O, the 281 unit Jefferson Market Place, and the Channing Phillips Homes workforce housing apartments.
* helped over 350 new businesses to open and earned the Great American Main Street Award for Shaw in 2016.
* helped preserve the neighborhood's economic and ethnic diversity by preserving existing affordable housing. All but one of the subsidized buildings in my ANC SMD have been renovated or replaced in kind during the past 12 years.
* promoted the neighborhood's rich African American history through the creation of the Shaw Heritage Trail, publication of the Shaw Heritage Coloring Book, and by conducting free tours of the neighborhood.
* defended neighborhood interests in alcohol licensing to prevent negative impacts, including late night noise from outdoor venues.
* helped bring public art to the neighborhood, like the Marvin Gaye Mural at 7th and S Streets, NW, Carter G. Woodson Memorial at Woodson Park, and “Symphony in DC Major” at City Market at O.
* championed historic preservation, including the redevelopment of the O Street Market, Howard Theatre, and Wonder Bread Factory and the restoration of the Carter G. Woodson Home.
* helped bring the city's first skate park and dog park to my ANC Single Member District.
* brought a new neighborhood library and improved schools, parks, and recreation facilities to my ANC SMD.
* helped protect residential parking by creating Residents Only parking areas.
* rebuilt the neighborhood's tree canopy by having hundreds of trees planted.
* got new traffic signals installed, and had sidewalks and other infrastructure replaced.
* helped keep our streets clean by starting the Shaw Clean + Safe Team (formerly the Shaw Green Team).
* helped deliver services to low and moderate income families and senior citizens, working with non-profits and DC government agencies.
* organized and obtained funding for the distribution of backpacks and school supplies to schoolchildren and Thanksgiving dinners to families and the homeless.
1519 8th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001-3205
© 2016-2018 | Alexander M. Padro. All Rights Reserved.
Thank You for Re-Electing Alex Padro ANC 6E01!